Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Aamir bares heart, says media underplays him

Actor Aamir Khan is all set with his directorial debut Taare Zameen Par which releases on December 21.
CNN-IBN’s Anuradha SenGupta gets chatty with the actor, talking about the change in his image from a ‘good-looking’ actor to an intellectual one, who surely, ought to be taken seriously.

Anuradha SenGupta: With Taare Zameen Par, you turn director. All these years we have heard accusations and charges saying Aamir interferes and second-guesses his directors, and if this is not your planned directorial debut, then how petrified are you?

Aamir Khan: Petrified in what sense? Are you talking about the release of the film?

Anuradha SenGupta: You must know that there are a lot of eyes on this film, not just the ticket buying public, but people you worked in the past with, people who may have things to say because this is finally when you come out of the actor who could direct and become the director.

Aamir Khan: Well, I do know that, but I am not making films for these reasons, so these things don’t bother me. I am making a film in which I believe in, and my concern is that have I been able to bring on to celluloid what was on paper. When I look at the film now, I feel I have managed to do that, so I am really happy with it. If I have any concern, it is that how my audience reacts to the film.

Anuradha SenGupta: We are talking as the first phase of Gujarat elections starts. Are you watching closely? Are you interested, because we know what happened with Fanaa because you supported the Narmada Bachao Aandolan. Are you anticipating trouble with Taare Zameen Par?

Aamir Khan: I have no idea and I have not been following the news because I have been very involved in the post-production of my film. So I really have not had the bandwidth to keep in touch with what’s happening around the country at this point of time.

Anuradha SenGupta: Is the film releasing in Gujarat? Do you know?

Aamir Khan: As far as I know, it's releasing.

Anuradha SenGupta: So you are not expecting any trouble this time?

Aamir Khan: No, I hope not.

Anuradha SenGupta: Tell me, after the response of this film, are you going to become like Woody Allen, directing yourself a lot?

Aamir Khan: I haven’t thought about that. I mean, no. On the face of it, I’d like to say that I would like to direct and I don’t want to act in the film I am directing. That’s something that I always felt. In this case I did not have a choice. But frankly, I am not comfortable acting and directing in the same film.

Anuradha SenGupta: I was wondering, you do a shot and you go running and play it back and you see it?

Aamir Khan: No, I don’t do that. I pretty much go with my instincts. So when I am giving a shot, my instincts tell me whether it is right or wrong and when I have finished with the takes and I think that I have got it, then I go and check once. Fortunately, as an actor, I never depend on the monitor. In my entire career, I have never looked at the monitor.

Anuradha SenGupta: And did you depend on the director?

Aamir Khan: Of course I do. I have the ability or I would say, I have retained the ability to keep my instinct alive, on how well the shot has gone or how well we have got the moment without having to check the monitor.

No comments: